7/13/2012

Bamboo Tablet


A graphics tablet is something that most graphic designers love to use.  I myself, have one; a Bamboo Capture more specifically, and I find it to be helpful when drawing.  Here's what Wacom says about their Bamboo Capture - 

"Enhance.  Engage.  Personalize.  Bamboo Capture helps you take your digital imagery to the next level.   Works with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements (included in the box)  and scores of other photo software applications for editing, perfecting, and having  fun with your digital images.  Restore old photos, make your portraits come alive, remove unwanted details, improve skin tones, and create your own compositions. 
Bamboo Capture also features multi-touch input, so you can use the tablet to zoom in on your photos, scroll through albums, and navigate your way around your computer, using the familiar gestures of a mobile device. 
Bamboo Captures includes two great software titles in the box:  Adobe® Photoshop® Elements and Autodesk® SketchBook Express."


Bamboo Applications

It's also a good deal if you happened to want Photoshop Elements or Autodesk SketchBook.  I find them both to be great programs, but I already own Photoshop, so Elements isn't of much use to me.  The first time I heard of a graphics tablet was from my friend.  She also uses Photoshop, but she uses CS4, and I use CS6.  At first I thought, "Bleh, not that cool."  But then I saw an advertisement sponsoring Bamboo tablets, and then I clicked on it.  When I look at all the features, I thought, "I could make some use of it."  Next thing you know, on my birthday, I get a Bamboo Capture.  What did you expect?

I tried it out, and turns out that Bamboo tablets come with tons of apps that involve using the pen to navigate.  Some types of apps were games, others were of graphical use.  To the right is what pops up when I plug in my Bamboo.  You could have tons of fun playing around with all the features.

The sensitivity of the touch screen is amazing.  You don't even have to touch the screen with the pen; once you near it, it responds to your touch.  And even so, you can just use your finger to navigate, hence the subtitle Pen & Touch.  The other versions of Bamboo are similar, but come with different prices.  The Bamboo Connect is $79, the Bamboo Splash is $79 (they recently released that one), the Bamboo Capture is $99 (I have that one!), and Bamboo Create is $199.  Hopefully you'll find the one you like if you decide to buy a Bamboo tablet.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see what you do with a Bamboo Capture in graphics design. Most YouTube videos I watch show drawing, but I am looking for something to spruce up fonts and photos for my book covers. Do you have any pics that show what you've done with your Bamboo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy. Back to your question, Mostly, I use my tablet to draw. Since i'm not much of an artist, i use it to help me improve. Since I mostly use Photoshop for photo editing/photomanipulations, the tablet helps me think about the other side of Photoshop. I also use it since it is mostly jut another tool. It helps things run along quicker, with its easy commands. If you want to see some examples of my work, you can go to genaynay.deviantart.com. You might be able to find some work done with the tablet.

      -GT

      Delete