7/16/2012

GIMP


GIMP is short for GNU Image Manipulation Program.  It serves the same features of Photoshop, but it's free.  Right now, the latest version is GIMP 2.8.  This picture here to the left is not mine, but one that I found on the internet (screenshots aren't working).  It is just to show how simple GIMP is, and much more simpler than Photoshop.

The number of resources available online are numerous; almost as many as the Photoshop resources.  This is because you can download any Photoshop brush/pattern etc. and it will work on GIMP because they designed it that way.

In my opinion, GIMP is a better program for getting rid of backgrounds.  It does it in a quick and easy way, and leaves you with smooth lines.  When I try attempting the same thing on Photoshop, some times, it comes up jagged, or even soft looking.  Not the flat, hard edge that I wanted.  Or even in Photoshop, when I do Select ~ Modify ~ Expand, it just doesn't give me the great product I expected.



Gimp Transparency Example
If you really want to have Photoshop, but can't find the money to get it; I suggest you first download GIMP (you can download it from the GIMP website, or else some other download place; they are plentiful.  Just make sure you don't download untrustworthy material), and then when you accumulate the dollars, then switch to Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment